Followers

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am a connoisseur of fine smells. I love to use my nose to discover the world around me. Here's a good shot of my beak...

And another close-up of my smell-sniffer...
One good whiff through the air vent in the pickup can tell me all about the countryside we're driving through. I can tell you if there are there other dogs nearby, or cows and horses, what's cooking outside on the grill for supper, and where there's a super odiferous pile of goop to roll in. The nose knows, you know.

So imagine my surprise when Mom started coming home with a new smell on her. I couldn't quite figure it out, never having come across the likes of it in my whole seven years. It always seems to be situated on her shoulder, sometimes on her arm and once in her hair. I puzzled over this for awhile until I hit on a way of finding out. I asked Cap. You know Cap, he's older than dirt and seen it all. And he told me the answer.

"It's baby burp, pup. Haven't you ever smelled burp before, young whippersnapper?" Well, nooooo, if I had I wouldn't have asked. I haven't officially been introduced to Little Guy yet. Mom says grandbabies are not squeaky toys and she won't let us play together until Little Guy is old enough not to get knocked over. So I'll just have to settle for whiffs of milky baby's breath until we actually meet. That and pictures, which Mom seems to have an abundance of cute ones to share. He does actually look a little like my yellow rubber ducky, doesn't he?
~Tell

7 comments:

Eric said...

Awww. He is the cutest duck I have ever seen. And I think the smell of milky baby breath might be one of the best smells and baby powder even better. Hope you get the chance to sniff it out first paw pretty soon pal.

Wiry wags n kissies, Eric xx

Noah the Airedale said...

Ahhhhh what a cutie.

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

TwoSpecialWires said...

Tell, those eyes and that sweet little smile are just about to melt our hearts. We're hoping you get to properly meet the little fella soon. You will have a lot to teach him. Including how to use those eyes to get what you want from the people. It's a universal language , you know!

Fondly
Jake and Fergi

Dewey Dewster said...

Eeeeeewwww Tell....

The baby is just adorable.....'n ya know we can't be around Parker much either cause we aren't used ta him at all yet....Toby thinks he's a vermin....my Mom isn't sure what he is and my Dad Fred and my brother George were here the other day ta get groomed along with baby Parker and if we got anywhere near him, they were right on top of us.....imagine that.....

Keep on sniffin' yer Mom when she gets home....yer sure ta meet 'em sometime.....

Oh yeah....'n Gram is shakin' in 'er boots thinkin' that we're gonna get 'er with the cattle prod if she isn't good.....thanks fer the idea....we may not need the arbitrator after all.....

Dewey Dewster here......

Asta said...

Tell
Youw Gwammbaby is lots cutew than any wubbew ducky I've seen, but Mommi says youw Mom is wight..we'we a little too pushy to be neaw little babies unsnoopewvised.
Maybe you could wowk youw way up to sniffing him pawsonally by being held.
HE is gowgeous
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Molly the Airedale said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww - what a cutie! We hope you guys get to meet in person soon!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Jake of Florida said...

What a cutie -- but not as cute as you, of course!!!

Good sniffing!!

Jake and Just Harry