Followers

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Chicken-Pluckin' Crud War?

As you know, I'm a chicken-pluckin' dog when the opportunity arises. Losing a few feathers helps to teach the wayward hens the boundaries of their part of the farm, air conditions them in the summer, and it's just plain fun. For me, anyway. The Family is not too fond of bare-bottom chickens, and I guess the chickens are a little embarrassed by the whole thing, too, but I just can't seem to help myself. That is, until today...
When I saw this fellow strolling across the yard, I thought at first someone had super-sized one of the guinea hens. But no, this guy was much taller. And heavier. My Boy says it is a wild turkey and they are not to be messed with. He sure didn't have to warn me twice about that. When a bird stands taller than me, it's a sure sign that it deserves a little respect. This is just a young tom, but still, it might be wise to pass on the feather plucking for now and try to be a nice neighbor. I'd hate to be flogged by the likes of that!

If you recall, I also got into a bit of trouble when I found something delightful to roll in and brought the essence home with me. I got a bath for my effort. Then look what happened. My Boy, My Girl and some of their friends went to an event called a Crud War. They came home looking like they had roached around in a whole lot of things, like mustard, ketchup, flour, egg, and waffle syrup. Did they get into trouble and get drug by the collar to the bathtub? Noooooo, they got their picture taken. Go figure. Sometimes the rules are a little hard to figure out around here. Now, if we could just come up with a way to combine chicken plucking with crud wars, then count me in!
~Tell

5 comments:

Dewey Dewster said...

Gee Will..

Sometimes ya just can't explain hooman reasonin' at-tall......can ya???? Don't the hoomans know that roachin' in bad smellin' stuff is required fer doggies? Sheesh....

Now the turkey is somethin' ta stay away from fer sure.....we see 'em all the time around here 'n we're in the city....can ya imagine...they stroll across the road like they own it or somethin'??? Must know that they are safe here....can't hunt around here unless ya use bow and arrow or muzzle loaders....

We also see 'em at the cottage when we take walks....they get spooked and take off flyin'.....can ya imagine that big of a bird flyin' around???? They bang inta everythin' tryin' ta fly away.....yep, they're strange ones fer sure.......

Dewey Dewster here....

Princess Patches said...

You're right, Tell...that turkey looks a little too big to mess with! We have them around here, too, but we have never had the chance to get really close to one. We ARE bigger than they are, though. That crud war sounds like something we would like to participate in!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Molly the Airedale said...

We have those wild turkeys in our parts too, Tell, but no way do we mess with them!
Those hoomans sure look like they need a bath! Rules are sure different for them, aren't they?!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Agatha and Archie said...

Humans,we will never understnad them..As for that turkey kid??STAND FAR AWAY they have a terrible temper.....I would too if I looked like that....Love and kisses A+A

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh that turkey looks scary. no fiar. how coome your hoomans don't need to get a bath straight after they got messy?

~ Girl girl